Crowd Modelling and Planning Tool (CMPT) – LESTCROWD Tool Presentation Cards #4
by Matteo Mauri
Download the LETSCROWD Toolcards. The CMPT is a collection of advanced crowd simulations that allow enforcement agencies to analyse crowd behavior at mass gatherings for planning, training or operational uses. Here the CMPT Card is available.
The CMPT is a software to plan for crowds attending a mass gathering, to simulate the crowd movement in normal and emergency situations, and to display the results in understandable ways, in 3D.
WHAT SHOULD THE CMPT MODEL?
– Crowd movement patterns and density levels that are expected at an event.
– Evacuation of the mass gathering.
– Crowd management strategies (e.g. rerouting crowds).
– LEA intervention tactics.
– Communication strategies (placement of information sources).
WHO IS THIS TOOL FOR?
The tool is for use by LEAs who wish to assess crowds at events and mass gatherings. It can also be used by expert advisors such as security companies, event organisers or engineers and architects.
WHEN SHOULD THE TOOL BE USED?
– Before a mass gathering occurs to understand likely situation and risk, to plan or test LEA responses to potential incidents, to plan or test crowd management strategies.
– During operation of a mass gathering, in real-time to aid operational decision making by providing a forecast of crowd behavior.
The tool is useful throughout all phases of an event, even for unplanned events such as spontaneous protests. It would normally be used to plan for crowds at mass gatherings, testing scenarios before the event happens, assessing consequences of risk to the crowd of certain management techniques etc. It would then be used during operations to test certain scenarios like closing streets, the potential impact of police crowd control tactics or crowd management as it changes through the event. Post event, it can be used to assess what could have been improved, why crowd movement was impeded in different situations.
WHAT IS THE ADDED VALUE OR BENEFITS FOR LEAs OPERATORS AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS?
The added value of the tool is that crowd movements, area capacities, strategies for intervention or management can all be tested in advance of an event to enable prevention of crowd related incidents. This is also true during the event, where strategies to move, disperse or evacuate crowds can be simulated and tested to get better awareness of potential impact before implementation. This will allow much better situational awareness through prediction and lead to better decision making in prevention of unwanted accidents.
The Crowd Modelling and Planning Toolcard is available below.
See also the Crowd Modelling and Planning Tool video.
See all the LETSCROWD toolcards.
08 Nov 2019 - news