Dynamic Risk Assessment (DRA) – LESTCROWD Tool Presentation Cards #5
by Matteo Mauri
Download the LETSCROWD Toolcards. The DRA is an essential element of any decision support tool aimed at improving the situational awareness while protecting mass gathering events against High Impact Low Probability (HILP) security risks.
The proposed DRA approach bases its reasoning on the processing of Weak Signals (WS) and can be summarised in the following steps:
1. Continuously collect the WSs potentially representing precursors of threats;
2. Analyse each collected WSs, and verify if, the WS alone or a Suspicious Pattern (SP) generated by correlating/grouping other existing WSs, can represent a more significant precursor of a threat;
3. Present the potential detected precursor to a security operator for evaluation;
4. Re-assess the risks for the considered target accordingly.
DRA processes WSs/SPs using both fully- automatic and expert-driven approaches on the basis of a significance value assigned to each WS/SP that takes into account the reliability and credibility of the source that generated the WS and the time at which it has been collected.
Then, Risk Level can be computed using escalation approaches allowing LEAs to put in place the most suitable mitigation measures.
WHO IS THIS TOOL FOR?
LEA operators monitoring events and activities during mass gathering events.
WHEN SHOULD THE TOOL BE USED?
DRA is effective in the pre-event phase in which 1) risks are evolving and can be confused due to the fact that weak signals, individually, cannot be normally identified as confirmed precursors of a given threat; 2) LEA’s operator can evaluate risks without the pressure of the crowd at the event’s venue evaluating possible options and evolving scenarios.
WHAT IS THE ADDED VALUE OR BENEFITS FOR LEAs OPERATORS AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS?
DRA has the following advantages over more traditional approaches:
– it searches for out-of-the-ordinary behaviours;
– reduces the number of false alarms;
– does not require large statistical samples and is sufficiently simple to run in real-time.
The Dynamik Risk Assessment Toolcard is available below.
See all the LETSCROWD toolcards.
No video is related to this toolcard.